Monday 28 November 2011

Meeting a Real Baking Beauty

Our Domistyle customers are the sweetest!

I met a lovely Baking Beauty the first day of the One of a Kind Show. She bought an apron for herself, explaining that it was going to be her Christmas gift from her husband.

Our sweet baking beauty revealed that her specialty is coffee cake. She said that it's super easy and a surefire hit every time. I love coffee cake but have never been successful in making one. She said she'd send me the recipe, along with her no fail apple crumble recipe, as soon as she got home. Sure enough, I received the recipes, along with a report that her husband was very impressed with the thoughtful gift he had "selected" for her.

My volunteer booth buddy baked the cake the same evening and raved about how delicious it was. Hopefully she is going to come by and bring me a piece!

Here are the recipes:

Sour Cream Coffee Cake
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla
1 3/4 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp orange rind (I usually don't add this)

Topping
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional) (I am not a fan of nuts so I usually opt out)
1 tbsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp. butter softened

Preheat the oven to 350F. For the topping, mix together all ingredients in a small bowl and set aside. For the cake, mix together sugar, butter, eggs and sour cream until smooth. Sift flour, baking powder and baking soda together and add the orange rind. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the sour cream mixture. Pour 1/2 of the mixture into an 8 inch spring-form cake pan and then sprinkle about 1/3 to 1/2 of the topping mixture on top. Add the rest of the batter and smooth over your topping. Sprinkle on the rest of the topping and bake for 30-45 minutes until the center is dry.

And the apple crisp
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup rolled oats
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup butter
4 apples
1/4 cup granulated sugar

Preheat oven to 350F. Peel and chop apples and mix with 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 tsp. cinnamon. Mix together the remaining ingredients and crumble over apple mixture. Bake for 25 minutes.

Could our customers be any sweeter? I think not! Thank you lovely real life Baking Beauty Sarah!

1 comment:

  1. The coffee cake was soooo delicious! I'm sorry. I ate it all.I'll bake you one any time though because it was super easy!

    ReplyDelete