Tuesday 15 March 2011

Perfect Pairs

It was a run of the mill kind of day. I came home ready to settle on the couch and watch TV when my friend down the hall called me, breathless, dying to show me the new pair of booties she had just bought. Could she come over?

I'd made a mushroom curry the night before, an old standby from The Moosewood Cookbook, so comforting and delicious over rice and even better the next day. I set out two plates at the table, put on some tunes and told my friend to bring herself and her new boots over for dinner.

The boots were perfection: open toe, studded, a delicious greyish colour and ridiculously reduced. I warned her I might have to be her twin and get a pair as well. Dear friend that she is, she gave me permission, so long as she gets first dibs to wear them if we go anywhere together.

Sometimes random moments make for the perfect pairing. We had our dinner with fresh crisp wine that seemed to complement it perfectly, applauded her bargain booties and had a wonderful night. Spontaneous dinner parties to honour a great shoe make for a great mid-week pick me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment