Monday 17 December 2012

We Made Our Own Christmas Tree!

About a month back my sweetie and I decided we wanted to host his family for Christmas Day dinner. It's a great way for us to plan and try out new recipes... together. We have been notorious for not working well on projects together. The differences in our personalities become glaringly apparent as we power struggle our way through. So because we are very aware of this, we try to work on small projects like throwing dinner parties to figure it out.
Our Lovely LED Lamp/Tree

 But before the meal planning started he announced he wanted a Christmas tree.  In my mind, we had a Christmas tree. Yes, it is an LED lamp in the shape of a tree made of wire and is barely 12 inches tall...but I love that tree! It was the first tree we bought when we moved in together almost 10 years ago.

So the debate began: Real or Fake? They both have their pros and cons. But, in the end I knew I didn't want to do either. So, I thought making our own would be a stellar project to work on together! But, when I presented my idea, there was a lot of eye rolling on his part. Yes, while it's true I love coming up with lots of fantastic, grandiose ideas, they don't always work out in real life (so he likes to tell me).


Finished Tree
But I was insistent, so I googled "How to Make a Modern Wood Christmas Tree" and voila: there were tons of entries. I ended up finding 3 that I liked and melded them into the one we ended up making. The basis of our tree is on this version with full instructions.











Decorated Tree


I think our collaboration worked out well and we are both so happy and excited about our new tree. Now the dinner planning....Yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment