Tuesday 24 January 2012

Food Art




I was flipping through Oprah's latest issue when I came across a piece about Judith G. Klausner and her Oreo cameos. This takes the art of food preparation to a whole new level. The artistry and patience! The willpower! How can she be near all those Oreo cookies and not lick out the middle before she creates her art? I checked out her website and discovered that she does embroidered toast as well.

Part of her artist statement reads:

My latest series (now in progress) uses Victorian handicraft processes to transform modern packaged foods, exploring how the intertwined histories of gender and craft have shaped one another and our everyday lives. I hope to change the way people see the small and often disregarded ephemera of life, and question what defines these things as ephemeral at all. What becomes mythologized, and what is discarded as mundane? Can the same set of skills that were once obligatory and unremarkable become valued craft simply based on a shift in cultural perspective?

In exploring these questions, my work brings to light the beauty (and sometimes humor) in subjects and materials often dismissed or taken for granted.

I am in awe (and kind of craving a cookie).

No comments:

Post a Comment