Wednesday 12 October 2011

Belated Thanksgiving Stuffing
















The weekend was crazy busy with Thanksgiving festivities. I managed to plow through two dinners and am now trying to atone with yoga. Even though the festivities had come and gone I still felt like I wanted more so I made a wild rice stuffing last night and stuffed it in a red pepper. It was delicious and autumnal and it felt like I was preparing something celebratory. When things get super hectic it is time to take a deep breath, pause and eat something special.

Belated Thanksgiving Stuffing - adapted from a recipe I tore out from Vegetarian Times magazine in 1999 (an oldie but a goodie)
  • Cook 11/2 cups rice in 3 cups vegetable broth ( I used 1/2 cup each of orzo, brown rice and wild rice) for about an hour.
  • While the rice is cooking heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a pan and cook a chopped onion. Add 2 tsp cumin, 1 tsp each of paprika, thyme and oregano with a dash of cayenne. Add 6 minced cloves of garlic, 2 stalks of chopped celery and a chopped pepper to the mix and sautee for around 10 minutes. Stir in a cup of raisins, 11/2 cups of diced apple, 1/2 cup chopped parsley and 1 tbsp each of fresh sage and rosemary. 
  • Mix vegetable mixture with the rice and 1 cup chopped toasted walnuts or pecans.
  • Mix in 2 tbsp rice vinegar (the original recipe called for umeboshi vinegar but I have no idea what that is and knew for certain that it wasn't in my pantry), 2 tsp balsamic vinegar and 2 tbsp soy sauce.
  • Serve it as is or stuff it into a vegetable and bake it.


No comments:

Post a Comment