Tuesday 7 June 2011

No bake granola bars




I found these scrumptious looking granola bars on Kitchen Simplicity and decided I needed to make a batch immediately. I needed something tasty to munch on for the Love Local Show on Saturday and granola bars were a healthy and portable option. Really, they had me at "no bake". They were easy-peasy and I felt virtuous while I was nibbling and standing in a puddle (!!!) during the pouring rain.

Luckily the skies cleared in the afternoon and it turned out to be a great day and a fantastic venue. I enjoyed meeting some lovely apronistas and had fun, even with my somewhat damp feet.

Here is the recipe:
  1. Toast 2.5 cups oats, 1.5 cups nuts and 1/4 cup shredded coconut in a large pan. Remove to a large bowl and toss with1/2 cup raisins. (I used dried cranberries, yummy!)
  2. Place 6 tbsp butter, 1 cup brown sugar (I may use less next time), 1.5 tsp cinnamon, 6 tbsp honey and 2 tbsp molasses in a small saucepan. Cook until it comes to a boil. Remove from heat and stir into oat mixture until evenly coated.
  3. Line a 7×11 inch pan with plastic wrap. Spoon mixture into pan, pressing it down evenly. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes. Remove from pan, peel away plastic wrap and slice into 16 bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment